We had a full day today, starting at 7am when we let the chickens and alpacas out. After a hearty breakfast, we started breaking down the urbanite wall outside the building we worked on yesterday and moving the pieces of urbanite (broken up concrete) to the largest garden, where we would use them to rebuild another wall. That was the days project: tearing down the upper terrace on the east side of the garden.
Pat and I, together with Kyle, pried the urbanite out of the original wall and stacked the above and below. After that was completed, we got to shaping the angle of the wall so that it will sit a little more vertical. This involved a pick axe and a heavy bar to loosen the soil, which could then be shoveled out of the way. There was enough work to last three people nearly all day.
The finished wall will be stronger and higher, flattening out the terrace above so it can be used for garden space and water catchment. We’ll start rebuilding tomorrow.